You probably have a smoke alarm in your home. After all, new homes come with them already installed and many communities have laws that require them to be installed.
What about a carbon monoxide detector?
Do you have any installed in your home?
Do you need one?
The importance of having a carbon monoxide detector is often underestimated or simply forgotten by many parents. Unfortunately, carbon monoxide sources, such as furnaces, generators, and gas heaters, are common in homes and can put your family at risk for carbon monoxide poisoning.
In fact, the CDC reports that over 15,000 people each year are treated in emergency rooms for non-fire related carbon monoxide exposures. And an average of about 500 people die each year from non-fire related carbon monoxide exposures.
The CDC also reports that common sources of carbon monoxide exposure include:
- Oil and gas furnaces
- Motor vehicles
- Stove/Gas range
- Gas line leaks
- Gas water heaters
- Space heaters
So you should definitely have a carbon monoxide detector in your home if you have any appliances that are not electric and that burn natural or liquefied petroleum gas, oil, wood, coal, or other fuels, or if you have a home with an attached garage.
For more information about the safety of Carbon Monoxide detectors, click here.