Your home or business safety during the winter is dependent on how you are preparing for whatever winter might bring.
Every year, weather significantly damages buildings in the forms of clogged water pipes or even roofs collapsing.
Here are just a few of the many steps you can take today, so you are confident that common problems caused by winter weather will not effect you.
· Check concealed spaces for gaps in wall materials because water pipes in these areas can freeze if they are unprotected. Keep them warmed to at least 50 degrees Fahrenheit.
· Keep gutters, downspouts and roof drains clear to avoid clogging and freezing.
· If it snows in your area, be sure to inspect roofs to be sure they can withstand snow loads.
· Identify source of cold air infiltration and repair leaks or seals.
· To prevent ice dams it is very important to:
o Increase insulation above ceiling inside the building.
o Increase ventilation in attic spaces.
o Consider the use of heating cables!
· In response to a heat loss event you should:
o Drain any equipment that contains water that could freeze if the temperature drops.
o Check for sources of temporary heat to be prepared.
Feel free to give us a call if you have any questions about the different ways you can weather proof your house or business at 1-888-512-8878.