Most people have a love-hate relationship with freeways. We love them when they’re not clogged by rush hour traffic because a freeway lets us get from point A to point B at a relatively fast pace; driving the speed limit, of course.
When these freeways are packed, however, life can get very frustrating. Luckily, with recent technological advances, there are smartphone apps that are updated regularly to monitor traffic and help you get to your destination quicker.
One of the newer, free apps that have come out to help with overcrowded freeways is the Waze App.
- It can be used as a turn-by-turn navigation system.
- Also displays user-generated reports on traffic, construction, and even speed traps.
- Helps connect drivers to one another, to help local driving communities work together to improve the quality of everyone’s daily commute.
- This app can calculate your commute to work, offer alternate routes and will notify you of incidents that are not only happening on your route but also in surrounding areas.
Another app that recently came out is one that uses the state highway patrol’s data to update traffic information periodically throughout your trip. This app is called Sigalert.com.
- The interface is very user friendly and provides accident, construction, and other relevant traffic data in most metropolitan areas.
- While the app is open you are able to zoom and click on the different incidents that are happening on the roads.
- It also shows you the speed limits for each highway and exit to make sure you are aware of how fast you are supposed to be going and how much time it will take you to get to your desired destination.
An older app, Google Maps, has been around a while but has recently been updated and has new enhanced navigation features.
- In addition to current traffic conditions, now the app allows you to see the reports of the problem and also click on it to see the details of the incident.
- While on the road, this app will alert you if it detects a better route with the estimated time of arrival as well.
- Another update will help you see options of great places to eat, drink, sleep, or shop.