Getting your children to eat healthy can be quite the challenge. Establishing healthy eating habits, however, is extremely important keeping your kids healthy throughout the summer and through the school year!
Here are some easy tips to remember about helping your kids eat a lot healthier:
- First and foremost if you want your kids to start eating healthy it is important to adopt the healthy eating habits yourself. Think about the healthy habits you want them to start and start keeping them yourself.
- Next, try being more creative when attempting to feed your child fruits and/or vegetables. Kids are more likely to eat vegetables if you give them different, fun names, such as calling broccoli “mini trees.”
- Parents should also get clever by putting vegetables in unexpected places such as sneaking carrots, cucumbers, or cooked beats in a fruit smoothie.
- Cooking and eating together is also a great way for older siblings as well as adults to model healthy eating habits.
- Lastly, it is important to simplify your meals. Avoid premade foods, and if you must, look for ones with a short list of real ingredients because foods with more than five ingredients usually have unhealthy chemicals and processed ingredients.
Source: Kaiser Permanente