Day hiking in California along Carson Pass, which is located in the Northern Sierra, between Ebbetts Pass to the south and Luther Pass south of Lake Tahoe to the north, is very accessible and has trails suited for all ages.
The hikes can be as strenuous or as easy as you would like, with amazing views of lakes and forests. The terrain is relatively easy for Sierra standards, and virtually every peak can be hiked in a day or less.
If you are looking for a quick and easy hike, the South Nature Trail and North Trail allows for views of the surrounding forests and meadows. You will get peeks of the reconstructed Miwok village and the ceremonial roundhouse.
- South Nature trail – 0.5 mile loop.
- Level trail, minor elevation changes.
- South Nature Trail can be found in the park pamphlet.
- North Trail begins near the museum and joins with the South Nature Trail
One of the more popular and scenic hikes to take is the climb to the summit of Thunder Mountain.
- 3.5 miles one way.
- 1,500 feet up – 7,900’ to 9,400’
- It is the highest point in Amador County, California and the scenery is unmatched.
- The entry is clearly marked and following the trail up the mountain is easy to follow.